The Google Nexus 5, which was released last week is the first Android Smartphone to feature the Android 4.4 Kitkat. What made the Nexus 5 popular is its top notch hardware including the Snapdragon 800 processor backed up by the latest version of software and all these in a very good price, that just costs half the price than similar spec’d Android flagship devices.
If you thought that who would try to root the Nexus 5, you’re probably wrong. As the rooting kit and custom ROM’s compatible with the Google Nexus 5 has already been released. And today we’re here to bring you a detailed guide on how to unlock bootloader and then root your Google Nexus 5 Android Smartphone.
Below are some warning facts that you should be knowing before attempting to root your Google Nexus 5:
- Unlocking the bootloader and rooting of Android Smartphone is not an authorized process. So, it tends to void the warranty of your Android devices. Which means, you’ll void the warranty of your Nexus 5 after you unlock the bootloader and root it.
- We are not to be held responsible if you damage your Nexus 5 during or after completing the rooting process. Hence, it is recommended to proceed at your own risk.
- You might not get any official firmware updates once you root and install any custom ROM on your Android device. And to again start receiving the official updates, you’ll have to flash back to the stock official ROM.
Below are some prerequisite steps to complete before you begin to root your Nexus 5 Android Smartphone:
- Make sure that your Nexus 5 has a minimum battery backup of 50%.
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded and installed USB Drivers for Nexus 5 on your PC.
- Download the Android SDK app from here.
- Download the root kit from here.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Nexus 5. The option can be found under Developer Settings.
How To Unlock The Bootloader Of Google Nexus 5:
Below is the processes by which you can unlock the bootloader of your Google Nexus 5:
- Install the Android SDK app on your PC.
- Now connect your Nexus 5 to the PC.
- Power OFF your Nexus 5 and then boot into FastBoot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down+Volume Up+Power keys.
- Now, open the Command Prompt from your PC.
- And then type in this command “FastBoot OEM Unlock”.
- Now the processes to unlock the bootloader of your Nexus 5 will begin.
- Wait for the processes to complete.
How To Root Your Nexus 5:
After unlocking the bootloader of your Nexus 5, below is how you can root it:
- Extract the root kit folder that you downloaded earlier.
- Again, Power OFF your Nexus 5 and boot into FastBoot mode.
- Again connect your Nexus 5 to the PC.
- Now, from the extracted folder run the “Root-windows.bat” file.
- Now a new window will appear. Follow the on screen instructions.
- Wait for the rooting processes to complete.
And now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted your Nexus 5.