The Samsung Galaxy S3 GT i9300 was the Android Smartphone that transformed the Smartphones industry and the fate of Samsung Mobile as we know today. The Samsung Galaxy S3 was the true premium Smartphone back in the time and featured the best hardware specifications, amazing camera, stunning display and everything that we would ask for packed into a very thin chassis. Even today, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is bought by users globally and millions of people use the Samsung Galaxy S3 as well.
Considering its global appeal and popularity, Samsung has officially included the Samsung Galaxy S3 to its list of Smartphone eligible for the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware upgrade. Therefore, if you own a Samsung Galaxy S3, you must be receiving the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat operating system upgrade within a few months. However, in the sad part, this might be the last official upgrade for the Samsung Galaxy S3.
However, if you are not interested in waiting for the official Android 4.4.2 Kitkat operating system to roll out for your Samsung Galaxy S3, then you can try manually updating your Smartphone to the latest Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware, by installing some custom ROM. There are many custom ROM’s that will let you update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, however the most popular one has to be Omni ROM. Omni ROM is a very popular custom ROM that allows a big list of customizations and functionality to its users. These customizations and functionality will truly make your experience with your Samsung Galaxy S3 better.
If you are interested in updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat by flashing the Omni ROM, then today we are here with a tutorial on the same.
Below are some warning information that you should definitely read before manually updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat operating system:
- Your Samsung Galaxy S3 must be rooted and custom recovery must be flashed before updating it to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat.
- Rooting will void the warranty of your Smartphone.
- We are not responsible for any damage caused to your Samsung Galaxy S3 during or after completing the tutorial written here. Therefore, proceed at your own risk only.
- You will not receive any future official firmware updates once you root your Samsung Galaxy S3 and flash a custom ROM.
Here is a list of prerequisite procedures to finish before trying to flash the Omni ROM custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the ROM package and Google Apps kit from here.
- Charge your Smartphone well before proceeding with the tutorial.
- Download and install the latest USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 on your PC.
How to Manually Update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat:
Below is the detailed tutorial on how to manually update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware:
- First of all, place both the downloaded folders to the external SD Card of your Smartphone.
- Power OFF your Smartphone.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing Volume Up+power+Home keys at the same time.
- Now the recovery mode, perform a “Factory/Data reset”, “Wipe Cache Partition” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Now choose the “Install ZIP From SD Card” option.
- Next, choose the ROM package that you copied earlier and confirm the selection.
- Now the ROM will be installed on your Smartphone.
- Next, choose the Google Apps kit and confirm the selection.
- Now the Google Apps kit will be installed on your Smartphone.
- Reboot your Smartphone.
And congratulations, you have completed the processes required to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat operating system.